guix-devel

Re: [Orchestration][RFC] A simple draft for channels

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: [Orchestration][RFC] A simple draft for channels
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:18:29 -0400

On 03/19/2018 at 19:31 Pjotr Prins writes:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 02:21:35PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
>> > Moving from one to the other, however, is too complicated and error
>> > prone. I can do it, but no one else really wants to. Even with my
>> > explanations it proves to be a royal pain.
>>
>> How about making guix a submodule of the GeneNetwork repo?
>
> I don't like git submodules, unfortunately. I have plenty experience
> there, and often not good. It works as long as you don't update the
> modules ;)
>
> I am OK with two git trees, there is no tight coupling between
> GeneNetwork and Guix. But there is tight coupling between
> GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH (guix-bioinformatics tree) and guix. I could
> consider making guix-bioinformatics a module of guix. But I am sure I
> am in for pain there too.

Other people bash them, but I have used git modules a lot for
hierarchical bio analysis and never hit a real issue.  Maybe you could
say more about the specific problem you see in this application?

>> > Now I need a way to no longer rebuild all .go files for Guix tree
>> > updates/changes. Not only between switching branches, but also when
>> > just running 'git pull' from Guix savannah. I find I have to do that
>> > very often. So often that I don't even try running make anymore
>> > without make clean. Anyone here share that experience?
>>
>> Yes the guix make does seem rather fragile ;-) So I usually do ...
>>
>> guix environment guix  -M 4 -c 4 --ad-hoc help2man git strace
>> rm -fr /home/g1/.cache/guile/ccache/*
>> sudo git clean -dfx
>> git pull
>> ./bootstrap
>> ./configure --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
>> make -j 10
>> make -j 10 check
>
> Mine is comparable, but even more rigorous:
>
>   screen -S guix-build # I tend to build in screen
>   env -i /bin/bash --login --noprofile --norc
>   ./pre-inst-env guix environment guix --ad-hoc help2man git strace \
>     pkg-config less vim binutils coreutils grep guile guile-git guile-json \
>     gcc nss-certs --no-grafts
>   bash # you may want this shell
>   rm -rf autom4te.cache/ # to be sure
>   make clean
>   ./bootstrap
>   ./configure --localstatedir=/var
>   make clean    # to be really sure
>   make clean-go # to be even surer
>   make -j
>
> (forget the make check)

OK, but I prefer 'sudo git clean -dfx' because it innoculates me against
any errors in 'make clean' logic. I should use ./pre-inst-env more ;-)

> but, yes, the point is that I have to do this too often and it takes a
> long time. So much that I thrust my hand through the monitor every
> time I have to start again. It is costing me monitors.

I agree it is annoying, but maybe this is the cost of complete artistic
source code freedom? And MIPS are so cheap these days, no?

> And there are problems, usually with package updates that go out of
> sync between my trees.

guix as a submodule would avoid this, no?

>> This takes a while but it avoids me chasing spurious errors caused by
>> clashes between the state of my build directory and the upstream
>> changes ;-)
>
> I think we agree.
>
>> > One thing I could do is split out 3 git repos for every use case and
>> > update these individually not triggering rebuilds. And when I deploy
>> > on other machines move the complete repo across with .go files.
>>
>> Have you considered a git-worktree for each of the development, testing
>> and production branches?
>
> Hmmm. That may be helpful. I should try that.
>
> Still does not solve my deployment problems.

If it were me, I would do source deployment w/ 'git clone
--recurse-submodules', source update w/ 'git pull; git submodule update'
and try to use bespoke project code to check out development and testing
branches with git-subtree.

You can capture the .go files by checking them into disposable "deploy"
branches which you cam either pull to the target machine or a push to a
non-naked repo.

Am I missing something? - George