guix-devel

Proposed environment variable to skip running tests

From: rain1
Subject: Proposed environment variable to skip running tests
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 16:26:41 +0100

Hello!

I would like to propose an environment variable that can be used to skip tests, e.g. export GUIX_SKIP_TESTS=1

This could be implemented by changing line 297 of guix/guix/build/gnu-build-system.scm:

(define* (check #:key target (make-flags '()) (tests? (not target))
                (test-target "check") (parallel-tests? #t)
                #:allow-other-keys)
  (if (and tests? (not (getenv "GUIX_SKIP_TESTS"))) ;;;;;; HERE
      (zero? (apply system* "make" test-target
                    `(,@(if parallel-tests?
`("-j" ,(number->string (parallel-job-count)))
                            '())
                      ,@make-flags)))
      (begin
        (format #t "test suite not run~%")
        #t)))

The reason I suggest this is because installing GuixSD with --fallback is sometimes necessary (I was getting a lot of 504's errors, so had to use fallback) but in that case the subversion and git test suites take many hours and perform excessive grinding on hard disk. Allowing users the choice to skip tests in a situation like this means we can get guixsd installed quickly.