guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 06:01:59 +0000

Mike Gerwitz transcribed 2.2K bytes:
> On Sat, May 05, 2018 at 19:06:27 -0300, Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
> > I have noticed somepeople advocating for packaging Firefox in GNU Guix,
> > and since FF still has freedom issues, I see it as a no-go.
>
> A simple option for now is to package FF by disabling those features and
> _not_ providing an alternative.  For example, IceCat loads a different
> addon page than FF; we could just load no addon page at all, or a static
> one saying that it's something'll we'll get to eventually.

For the majority of people it will be "weird" to load add-ons not via
the Mozlla Store, but if explained before usage it can work out.
I thin with regards to Addons of Mozilla based software, we just have
to reimplement what Nix does for the Addons.

> I have no suggestions for dealing with the trademark issue, though.

The branding "aurora" (building without branding) is trademark free.
What remains are mentions of "Firefo" in some places.