guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 14:07:39 -0500

Katherine Cox-Buday writes:

> Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Not packaging FF or crippling FF is a no-go! Doing so will discourage
>>> users from using GuixSD and Free Software.
>
> As an anecdote with a data-point of one, I uninstalled GuixSD because I
> suddenly needed the machine I was running it on to be my daily driver. I
> had been attempting to package Firefox whenever I had a spare moment,
> but I ran out of time and needed it to work as I didn't have time to
> migrate all the machines I use to a libre-friendly browser (nor am I
> sure I want to).

I'm sorry to hear we lost you as a user, and hope eventually you can
come back.  I suspect that you aren't the only person whom we've lost
due to this.

I think that means that at least one of these three is a priority, IMO:
 - Getting Chromium in
 - Getting Firefox in (even if we remove the direct link to Mozilla's
   extensions page and have to rebrand to Aurora)
 - Getting a channels mechanism

These days Guix has nearly everything I need, but this is a clear gap
for many.  Icecat helps a tremendous amount (and thank you thank you to
Mark for all your work keeping things patched) but I do think we need to
provide some other browser options.

 - Chris