guix-devel

Re: Status of Submitted Patches

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Status of Submitted Patches
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 11:40:52 +0200

Hi Sahithi,

>> While this achieves the goal for a single character it does not
>> constitute a custom port.  Have you read the documentation for
>> “make-custom-port” in the Guile manual?
>
> I have tried with the following code for, Gábor helped me in process […]

Oh, I haven’t seen those emails on the mailing list.  Please keep the
discussion on the mailing list so that all mentors and the community can
comment.

> the description for that goes this way....
>
> The input taken from input port is read and stored in variable "s".
> This variable is passed to make-soft-port. The variable s is
> capitalized by locale conversion then binded with color. the result is
> displayed when called.

Please try to be a little more precise with the descriptions.  You
defined a new port with “make-soft-port”.  The new port has two
important procedures: one that takes a single character, and another
that takes a string.  In the case of a single character you just pass it
through to the current output port.  In the case of a string, you
colorize it first and then write it to the output port.

The result is a port that will print a coloured string whenever you pass
it a string.

How would you use this in “(guix store)”?  Note that we don’t want to
apply colour to any and all strings there.  We want only certain
messages to be coloured.  Can you please prepare a patch to “(guix
store)” that shows us how you would use this new port?

As a first change, could you please add the relevant parts of “(ice-9
colorized)” to a module in Guix?  We probably don’t want to depend on
having users install this module separately.  We also don’t need all of
it.  Please prepare a patch that adds only the relevant parts to “(guix
ui)” and update the copyright headers.

> I have tried the other process using escape codes however failed with
> the result i will come with this implementation and procedure in my next
> mail

I have not received this email.  Have you worked on this yet?

When you have problems with code please always provide the relevant
parts of your code with the error messages, so that we can help you.

I think that we need to start moving forward at a slighter higher
speed.  Thanks!

--
Ricardo