guix-devel

Re: my latest blog post

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: my latest blog post
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 18:49:04 -0400

On 06/07/2018 at 17:25 Catonano writes:

> I just published my latest blog post
>
> In this post I discuss Guix
>
> And I discuss Guile too
>
> I understand that the language is strong and I expect someone to be upset
>
> But I feel this is due
>
> Happy reading
>
> http://catonano.v22018025836661967.nicesrv.de/the-gnu-community.html

Hi Catonano,

Thank you for taking the time to contribute your thoughts. I am sorry to
see you getting so beat up by the responses.  Unfortunately the
nit-picking of criticisms and the "we are busy, why don't you dig in and
fix it" responses occur too often on the Guix lists.

Such responses are fundamentally unhelpful: A defensive response of
counter-criticism that spirals out of control buries the original input
and alienates potential new contributors. I agree with you that the
suggestion that you dig in and fix something you are struggling with is
a fundamentally unfriendly response.

I appreciate the effort you made to learn Guix and the risk you took to
report on the problems you experienced. I am interested in getting to
the root causes of your frustration. I re-read your post and
emails. Would it be fair to say ...

1) The monad/daemon/store is presented as central to Guix and is very
difficult to understand. If a Guix user really needs to understand it,
it needs to be explained better.

2) Sending Guix users upstream for Guile support is not working.

If these are correct, the reality is that only a few people on the
planet are in a position to address these issues. The rest of us have to
hope that they can see why it is important to stop coding long enough to
do so, perhaps in collaboration with a confused user or two ;-)

- George