guix-devel

Re: 2 ideas

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: 2 ideas
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 22:18:19 -0700

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> It could be useful to have application-specific setup notes in a
> well-known location that is gathered when the profile is built.

Maybe we could begin by adding a simple, optional field
("post-install-notes", maybe?) to the <package> record type?  We could
maybe print the notes in the output of invocations like "guix package
--show=foo".  We could also add a profile hook to generate a simple
summary of such documentation for a given profile, in a specific
location (not sure where - depends on the format, maybe, but somewhere
in $GUIX_PROFILE/share?).

> I would not like these notes to be printed automatically upon
> installation, but generating a file with important notes seems like a
> good idea in general.

I also think it's a good idea.  It seems potentially more useful than
maintaining separate documentation in the manual or in a wiki, too
(although that is certainly useful, as well).  There is something to be
said for "self-documenting" package definitions.  It would have helped
me to learn, for example, that to play additional media types in
Rhythmbox (from the rhythmbox package), I needed to install additional
GStreamer plugins (from the gst-libav package, I think).

--
Chris