guix-devel

Re: preparing the next release v0.15.0

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: preparing the next release v0.15.0
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 14:36:50 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I wrote almost 6 days ago:
>
>> Here are a bunch of things that we should look into:
>>
>> * Outstanding patches.  There are many patches in the queue at
>>   guix-patches[1] that we should go through, comment on, and/or apply
>>   before the release.  Who would like to join a task force to do that
>>   together?  Let’s pick 5 patches each and review them so that we can
>>   either comment to ask for changes or to apply them.
>>
>>   [1]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=guix-patches
>>
>> * breakage since the last core-updates merge.  Since the long overdue
>>   merge of the “core-updates” branch we have a few serious problems on
>>   i686 (e.g. the gst-plugins-base package) and armhf.  Who would like to
>>   lead an effort to investigate and fix these problems?  (Note: you
>>   obviously don’t need to fix them yourself, just keep track of these
>>   things and coordinate with others who investigate them.)
>>
>> * collecting new features and big changes in NEWS.  The NEWS file
>>   already lists some of the changes that the next release would provide
>>   compared to 0.14.0, but we all know that there are more.  Who would
>>   like to take charge of the NEWS file?  This involves asking people for
>>   changes they would really like to be mentioned and coordinating with
>>   other volunteers to search through all commits since v0.14.0 to find
>>   noteworthy changes.
>>
> […]
>> Did I miss anything?  Who wants to help?
>
> We aim for a release on June 30, 2018.  Unfortunately, so far nobody has
> come forward to help us coordinate one of these three tasks.

Hello!

Thanks for this writeup.  I live a somewhat nomadic lifestyle at the
moment, and recently my phone was stolen, so I'm only online very
sporadically.

There is one bug I'll try to fix before the release: when doing an EFI
install, the ESP must be mounted at "/boot/efi" on the live system,
instead of relative to the mounted system (e.g. "/mnt/boot/efi").  This
is a regression since 0.13.

On the NEWS side, here is what springs to mind:

* `guix weather` now reports CI statistics
* Guix will give hints for how to resolve common configuration errors
* RHEL6 systems are again supported
* Reproducibility improvements all around
* Lots of new supported AArch64 boards
* Packages can specify that some CVEs don't apply to them
* `guix pack --relocatable` :-)

Others?