guix-devel

Re: New ‘guix pull’

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: New ‘guix pull’
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 10:41:19 +0200

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 06:44:56PM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 04:29:02PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> >
> > Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

> > > And it says so after guix pull. It is easy to forget however.
> > >
> > > Why don't we (also) add it to the default guix profile? To most users
> > > this would make sense. No point in running guix pull if you don't want
> > > to update guix itself - right?
> >
> > It does update Guix itself.  The “guix” package, however, should
> > generally not be installed into a user profile, because it is always
> > necessarily *older* than the version of Guix that you are using to
> > install it (unless you’re using “--with-source” to use a more recent
> > tarball).
>
> Hmmm. I don't understand. I would think it the other way round: the
> guix package you install is newer than the running daemon. But, no
> matter. Maybe we should just accentuate that guix gets its own independent
> profile. That I can understand ;). So it should *never* be in the user
> profile. Not even by accident.

When I ask guix pull version for the environment it gives me my profile...

~/.config/guix//current/bin/guix package --search-paths

  export PATH="/home/pjotr/.guix-profile/bin:/home/pjotr/.guix-profile/sbin"
  export GUIX_LOCPATH="/home/pjotr/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
  (...)

Should it not include ~/.config/guix/current/bin to locate guix?

Maybe I am confused, but if I am confused there will be more confused people ;)

Pj