guix-devel

Re: Adding a TOR system test - confusing results

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Adding a TOR system test - confusing results
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 01:19:28 -0700

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

> In short, my questions are:
>
> * Why does the sleep get interrupted?

I've been looking into this, but I still don't know why it happens.  If
you have any ideas, I'd love to know!

> * Do I need to periodically poll for TOR's health in my test?

I figured out the answer to this question by examining the source of
Shepherd and Guix.  The answer is: if I declare the TOR service to be a
requirement of the Marionette service (by including it in the
#:requirements argument when calling marionette-operating-system), then
Shepherd will start the TOR service and set the TOR service's "running"
slot to a non-#f value before starting Marionette.  So if that's all I
care about, I can just ask Shepherd if TOR is alive in my test, and it
will work as expected.

Of course, if I wanted to check some other feature of TOR which maybe
doesn't come online until some time after the process is started, that's
a different story.

--
Chris