guix-devel

Re: guix gc: smarter collection & guix.el manual deletion

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: guix gc: smarter collection & guix.el manual deletion
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 11:57:41 +0200

Fantastic review!
Thank you so much for this: very clear, very thorough, it scattered all
remaining confusions!  I thumb up for a blog post! :D

While I had understood most of it, I was completely ignorant of the separation
between the .drv closure and the output closure.  It all makes much more sense
now.

I think the documentation of `--gc-keep-outputs` ought to be updated.

> I don't use emacs-guix, so I can't comment on it, I'm afraid.  Maybe
> someday I'll get around to using it, and then I can say something
> useful!

I find emacs-guix tremendously useful, I highly recommend you give it a try (the
learning curve is very flat).  Any reason why you'd rather not use it?

> > While I'm at it, I'd like to note that something might be wrong with the
> > `-F` option: I never get the promised amount of free space back, only
> > about 2/3 of it.
>
> I think that's normal.  My understanding is that if you say "guix gc -F
> 3GiB", you aren't asking Guix to free 3 GiB; you're asking Guix to try
> to free enough space so that when it's done, the store will have 3 GiB
> of free space.  For example, if the store begins with 2 GiB of free
> space and there is 5 GiB of garbage, Guix will only collect 1 GiB in
> order to bring the free space up to 3 GiB.

No, I'm talking total disk usage here.  If I ask 5G back, then `df /` tells me
that root has about 3-4G free, it never has the promised amount.  Can someone
confirm this?  Might be a bug.
--
Pierre Neidhardt