guix-devel

Re: Roadmap for Guix 1.0

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Roadmap for Guix 1.0
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 03:23:52 +0200

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 05:18:21PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> #+TITLE: Roadmap for Guix 1.0, 2018
> #+STARTUP: hidestars
>
> * 'guix pull' & co.
> ** TODO 'guix pull' honors ~/.config/guix/channels.scm
> *** (guix channels) module provides easy way to build a set of channels
> *** (guix inferior) uses that to allow interaction with an arbitrary Guix
> ** MAYBE 'guix pull' & commit authentication <https://bugs.gnu.org/22883>
> ** TODO 'guix package -m' (?) allows users to specify a Guix channel
> ** TODO Profile manifest entries record the channel instance they come from
> ** TODO build-self.scm trampoline runs faster
> * UI/UX
> ** TODO Add colors for messages (error, warnings, hints, and possibly build
> logs)
> ** MAYBE Hide build logs in some UIs, as in ‘wip-ui’ branch & Cuirass
> ** MAYBE Rework grafts and profile hooks to run as “build continuations”
> <https://bugs.gnu.org/28310>
> ** MAYBE Add ‘guix install’ alias
> ** TODO Add ‘guix system --delete-generations’
> ** MAYBE Polish & merge ‘wip-installer’
> * core
> ** TODO Update & merge ‘wip-build-systems-gexp’
> ** MAYBE Merge ‘wip-gexp-hygiene’ if we have a portable way to compute gensyms
> ** TODO Use [[https://notabug.org/cwebber/guile-gcrypt][Guile-gcrypt]]
> instead of (guix gcrypt) & co.
> ** TODO Minimal bootstrap with Mes & co. for i686/x86_64 merged
> (‘wip-bootstrap’)
> ** MAYBE Use [[https://gitlab.com/rutger.van.beusekom/gash][Gash]] instead of
> Bash during bootstrap
> * infrastructure
> ** TODO ci.guix.gnu.org points to berlin.guixsd.org
> ** TODO ci.guix.gnu.org is the default substitute server; hydra.gnu.org is
> deprecated
> ** TODO ARM build machines (+ qemu-binfmt) added behind berlin.guixsd.org
> ** TODO Tatiana's web UI deployed on berlin.guixsd.org
> ** TODO Clément's Cuirass improvements deployed (inputs, non-blocking SQLite,
> etc.)
> ** TODO web site available at guix.gnu.org
> *** DNS already set up with two entries, but how to do deal with LE certs and
> all?
> ** TODO Mumi web UI available at patches.guix.gnu.org and bugs.guix.gnu.org
> ** TODO berlin.guixsd.org has big storage, uses a TTL > 60 days
> ** TODO Nar bandwidth issues on berlin fixed (nginx misconfiguration?)
> * miscellaneous
> ** TODO “GuixSD” renamed to “Guix System”?
> ** TODO “Cuirass” renamed to “Guix CI”?

Are these all really necessary for 1.0? Or can it be 1.1? I think we
are pushing ourselves too much to have all deployment tools and
website stuff aligned ;)

Q: how large a big storage do we need for TTL>60d today? I don't have
a build farm in the USA, but I can create a mirror if you allow rsync
and have guix publish running on guix.genenetwork.org (or any name,
really). Is that of interest?

Pj.