guix-devel

Re: Ensuring we don't break user systems

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Ensuring we don't break user systems
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 14:40:23 +0200

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 12:58:08PM +0200, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> skribis:
> >> We wouldcreate a new branch, stable, that would be used by guix pull. We
> >> would continue to push to master or other branches.
>
> +1

Alternatively guix pull should only fetch the last tagged release.
This has the advantage some people can test it before going into the
wider world. Essentially a mini release cycle. And it does not have to
be every day:

1. Decide on a time point (git hash) for the next guix pull (branch
   it)
2. Ask some people to test it (in addition to automated testing)
3. When OK tag release
4. Guix pull starts using that

A rolling guix pull is a rather bad idea for stability ;). Unlike the
main releases I think this can be done weekly or bi-monthly.

Pj.