guix-devel

Re: commit 70f57ae00525f6fc919f62aea647a33b29d28537

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: commit 70f57ae00525f6fc919f62aea647a33b29d28537
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 19:03:15 +0200

Hi Nils,

> Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 227 bytes:
>>
>> Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > This commit is okay, but let's all please refrain from doing future
>> > corrections like this.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> I prefer consistency, so I’m happy with Tobias’s change.
[…]

> Because we also allowed more than one formats so far, including
> homepages and so forth. We had no formal agreement on any format. I'm
> okay with doing so once we have a real formal format, but this isn't
> the case.
> Discussions and commits to change copyright lines just for the sake of
> making them look more uniform have a bit of the bikeshed paint feeling.
> I hardly see a point in changing someones copyright line just for the
> sake of a (C) or a ©.

I disagree.  It’s bikeshedding if we start a discussion about which
symbol is the best.

In general it is best to use whatever style is already in use in a given
existing file.  (This also applies to tabs vs spaces for *existing*
files.)

Let’s keep using the same copyright symbol that we already use in the
majority of all files: ©.

--
Ricardo