guix-devel

Re: Ghostscript / ImageMagick / GraphicsMagick vulnerability mitigation?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Ghostscript / ImageMagick / GraphicsMagick vulnerability mitigation?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 15:10:20 -0400

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 03:04:53PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> In this week’s discussions, it’s unclear to me why people are focusing
> so much on ImageMagick and Evince when the real issue is in
> Ghostscript’s ability to run arbitrary commands from PostScript code.  I
> rarely run ‘convert’ on PS files, but I do run ‘gs’ from different
> sources: gv, Emacs Docview, Evince, ps2pdf, etc.

I think they take for granted that Ghostscript should not handle
untrusted input, so they are looking for ways that it may be invoked by
other applications without the user's explicit consent. And, they are
still picking the "low-hanging fruit" in this search, for example the
thumbnailing thing.

Apparently GNOME containerizes the thumbnailer in some cases with
'bubblewrap', but it requires the system to be set up properly (by us,
for example).

> So I was wondering if we could arrange to provide a wrapper around ‘gs’
> that would run it in a container that can only access its input and
> output files, plus font files from the store.  Now I wonder if I’m too
> naive and if this would in practice require more work.
>
> Thoughts?

Yeah, that would be interesting. Are there any packages that have
something similar right now?

> I agree that it would be good to provide a policy.xml somehow. On
> GuixSD, we could provide it by default for new accounts (as a Shadow
> “skeleton”.)

Agreed, or at least alter the default copy that comes in the built
package.