guix-devel

Re: Guix on aarch64

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Guix on aarch64
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 09:57:49 +0200

Hi Mark,

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>> I think you are overreacting and I really don’t think the sarcastic
>> response is justified.  This kind of communication is very demotivating
>> to me.
>
> Believe it or not, I wasn't conscious of the fact that I was being
> sarcastic or hostile.  Sorry about that.  I'm grasping at straws trying
> to understand your reasoning.

When in doubt my reasoning is probably just lacking information.  I’m
spreading myself a little too thin in trying to read everything on the
mailing lists, writing responses, and trying to fix problems or recruit
people to help in fixing them.  My apologies for the confusion.

I commented specifically on Leo’s statement about build debugging on
Cuirass:

    “I don't actually do any build debugging with Berlin yet because I
     don't know how to use the interface effectively.”

This did not sound like a severe problem with Cuirass to me, but rather
a problem that could be fixed by adding minor features to Cuirass like
the display of build logs.  Leo, could you please tell us what missing
feature in the Cuirass web interface is the most urgent for you to use
the interface effectively?

Another problem that was mentioned is the garbage collection policy on
berlin.guixsd.org, which regularly removes too many built store items.
To address this I could move the store to a 37TB storage device, but I
have been having problems with the lack of multipath support at boot
time.  Obviously, I want berlin.guixsd.org to be reliable, so I’d prefer
to only attach the storage once it is available via multipath, and not
just attach it over a single HBA link.  This is a little tricky as
multipath support needs to be available early during boot.  If
/gnu/store is on a multipath device, then all packages required for
multipath support need to be available in the initrd as statically
linked executables.  I haven’t been able to make this work yet.

> I lack access to both Berlin and to the Aarch64 build slaves, so I can't
> do this.

Oh.  I can remove one of the build machines from Berlin.  But we need
input from Ludovic or Efraim (who currently both host one of the
machines) before we can verify the relocation of one of the machines.

@Ludo: could we remove the aarch64 machine at your place from
berlin.guixsd.org today and add it to Hydra?  I’m available during most
of the day to help test things.

--
Ricardo