guix-devel

Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2018 01:33:40 -0400

Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> The TODO list for convenience:
>
> * There is still some data transmitted when starting the browser for the
>   first time.  It seems related to the "domain_reliability" component.
> * Remove remaining "Web Store" links.  Currently I've only found it in
>   settings, under "accessibility" and "fonts".
> * Opening settings transmits a bunch of data, the next version will
>   include the 'disable-translation-lang-fetch' patch from Inox.
> * PDFium is built, but does not seem to work (the 'install' phase
>   probably needs tweaking).  Might just disable it instead.
>
> It would be *very* nice if the first and third items could be solved
> before merging, but I don’t consider them blockers.

The GNU FSDG says "The distro must contain no DRM, no back doors, and no
spyware."  Since GNU Guix has committed to follow the FSDG, that means
that we must not include programs that include spyware.  We have
committed ourselves to "removing such programs if any are discovered."

Guix _is_ committed to the GNU FSDG, right?

Do you agree that #1 and #3 look like spyware?  If so, wouldn't that
make them blockers?

       Mark