guix-devel

Re: Roadmap for Guix 1.0

From: fis trivial
Subject: Re: Roadmap for Guix 1.0
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 22:55:57 +0000

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> I’ve pushed to guix/maintenance.git a list of things that IMO we should
> do or might want to do for 1.0, with the understanding that 1.0 should
> happen in 2018 (or early 2019 at the latest!).  :-)
>
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/1.0.org
>
> The list focuses on “big item” features and tasks, omitting routine bug
> fixes and improvements.  Some of these items don’t require a lot of work
> or expertise though, so hopefully there’s enough on everyone’s plate.
>
> Feel free to comment, volunteer, add items (but not too many!), remove
> items, promote items, etc.  Committers should feel free to edit the file
> directly in maintenance.git, especially to mark things as done.  ;-)
>
> Copy of the file attached below.
>
> Ludo’.
>
> PS: I’m starting the discussion but will go AFK soon after sending this
>     message.  :-)

Hi Ludovic,

For near future version of GUIX, maybe 1.1, would it be possible to:

    Upgrade to latest GCC as base compiler

    Use gold linker as default

Based on experience, newer GCC and gold linker could reduce compilation time
and memory requirement dramatically.  It would be beneficial to both build
farm which have heavy load and laptop users who have very limited memory.

Thanks.
--
Jiaming