guix-devel

Re: Java bootstrap cleanups

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Java bootstrap cleanups
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 10:40:53 +0200

Le 2018-09-11 09:32, Gábor Boskovits a écrit :
Hello guix,

I have a few questions/suggestions but I would like to get some
feedback before implementing them. This changeset would rebuild all
java, so it would be nice to get this right for the first time.

1. https://issues.guix.info/issue/30730 has a partial fix, icedtea-8
out output is fixed. The same fix could be attempted at icedtea-7, and
then we could inherit it.
Also we could get rid of the repeated code in ant-bootstrap and co.
'strip-jar-timestamps the same way Ricardo did this in icedtea-8.
2. ISTM that https://issues.guix.info/issue/31719 is caused by not
running strip on the jre directory. I don't know how widespread this
kind of issue is throughout the codebase. If it is, then we might need
to come up with a more generic solution, but in the meanwhile I would
simply add a 'strip-jre-directory phase, or something like that. I
guess that should interact with #: strip-binaries though.
3. some javadoc reproducibility issues could be mitigated by tweaking
ant build system to pass -notimestamp to javadoc.
WDYT?

I'd say go for it if that can fix the reproducibility issues we have :)

I don't expect 2. to be very widespread, but it happens elsewhere.
That's because some packages install private shared libraries (that's
weird, eh?). For instance, we have the same issue with ocaml-zarith:
`lib/ocaml/site-lib/zarith/dllzarith.so` is not stripped.