guix-devel

Re: Add "tags" field to package record?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Add "tags" field to package record?
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 14:51:09 +0200

Hello Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

> What about adding an optional "tags" field to the package record?
>
> Tags would be arbitrary (e.g. "editor", "video", "music", etc.) and
> useful for package exploration, both from commandline and guix.el I
> suppose.

I have mixed feelings about this.  On one hand it seems like The Right
Thing (I was very enthusiastic about debtags back in the day), but OTOH,
people don’t seem to use anything beyond plain search boxes and ‘grep’.

I think I would rather have us improve “guix package --search” to the
point that it provides results people are happy with.

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> skribis:

> Some packages already provide these via the "properties" field, e.g.:
>
>     (properties `((tags . '("Desktop/KDE" "Utilities"))))

I agree it would probably be the right way to do it.  This particular
example is not in ‘master’ though, is it?

Thanks,
Ludo’.