guix-devel

Re: [outreachy] am I in the right track to contribute

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: [outreachy] am I in the right track to contribute
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 18:17:40 +0200

Hi Laura,

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 10:08:44 -0300
Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I don't know if is it OK to be telling you what I am/ I've been doing
> these days, I kind of like doing so to have feedback, and also to let
> you know

This is exactly the way to go! It's good to hear where you stay, what
you tried, where you succeeded, where you got stuck. If you get stuck,
tell us about the paths you already tried out and why you don't get
further alone.

One thing that was today on the Outreachy mentors-mailinglist: If you
finally made a contribution, please go directly on the Outreachy
project page, select the Guix project and formally record your
contributions. That's important to us and for the whole Outreachy
project to see who/how many applicants are possible candidates for a
project.

> I installed guix on a VM with an Ubuntu distro and it worked fine - i
> ran some basic commands.
>  I am trying to install GuixSD over that VM too and on bare metal -
> don't know if this two steps are necessary, but looking at the tasks
> for Outreachy one items says that I will be doing documentation for
> it.

Concerning bare metal: Guix uses 100% Free Software und thus uses the
libre kernel, not the normal vanilla kernel. That means some binaries
included in the vanilla kernel are stripped off. Hickups might occur,
especially with Network, WLAN and Graphics, compared to Ubuntu.

As always before installing a new OS, make backups of your data and
configurations on that machine!

> 1) should I write, at least for myself, the problems I've been
> encountering in the whole process of doing everything?

Yes, very good! I do that for myself too. It leads to good, reproducible
bug reports, bug fixes, documentation fixes, blog entries and could also
be used as a starting point for a screenplay for the videos.

Björn