guix-devel

Re: Blog: Guix packaging tutorial

From: Benjamin Slade
Subject: Re: Blog: Guix packaging tutorial
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 19:38:08 -0600

Hi Ludo',

So for me, the list at
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html>
seems more like a list of `desired output conditions' and the numbering
doesn't really correspond directly to the temporal ordering of steps
(with some of the numbered items probably being temporally independent
but perhaps some not, which is somewhat confusing). For instance,
references to documentation (gender-neutral pronouns) occur lower in the
list than linting, and so if one tried to follow the checklist
temporally, one could end up doing things which invalidated the
linting. Should formatting occur before or after linting? Or is it
irrelevant?

For another instance, actually producing the patch (via `git
format-patch') is mentioned in the `preamble' but is not part of the
list (where reasonably it might occur near the end). And then there are
other things which are like steps (the actual sending of the patch)
which occur below the checklist.

It might make sense if there were:

A. a list of temporally-ordered steps for creating and submitting a package
 - where one of big steps could refer to Pierre's build tutorial
 - and where another step could refer to a list of things to check (B)

B. a non-temporal list of things to check before submitting
  (e.g. using gender-neutral pronouns in documentation isn't really a
  step, but a `desired output' condition)

 —Ben

--
Benjamin Slade - https://babbagefiles.xyz
  `(pgp_fp: ,(21BA 2AE1 28F6 DF36 110A 0E9C A320 BBE8 2B52 EE19))