guix-devel

Re: [outreach] Help trying to create R package

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: [outreach] Help trying to create R package
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 20:25:06 +0200

Hi Laura !

Il giorno sab 13 ott 2018 alle ore 15:37 Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> ha scritto:

>  Hi!
> I'm creating a new thread so that it does not end up messy.
> I am reading about defining new packages, and since I have always
> installed R with apt, I am trying to do so with ./configure make make
> install to have it running on my VM, and then try to create the
> package and check if both works

you don't need to package R yourself, R is already packaged and available in Guix, i believe.

If you want to package a R based package for Guix you can use the so called Cran importer

Try this line at the prompt

guix import cran your-R-package

This line invokes a so called importer and the importer should return you the recipe of your R package written in scheme

You could append such definition to an existing Guix file (probably with some minor tweaks) and that should allow you to build the package and all the dependencies will be taken care of automatically

I did this myself some time ago

In order to append the definition of your package to an existing Guix file you will probably need some more guidance, but for now you could just run the importer and let us now what you obtained

Probably you'll need to build the package, then modify the recipe a bit, build it again... for a few times; that's ok

You can read about the importers here

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-import.html#Invoking-guix-import

> substitute: guile: warning: failed to install locale
> substitute: hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or
> `glibc-locales' package and
> substitute: defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:
> substitute:
> substitute:      guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
> substitute:      export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
> substitute:
> substitute: See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.
>
> When I run guix package -I I get:
> hello    2.10    out    /gnu/store/bihfrh609gkxb9dp7n96wlpigiv3krfy-hello-2.10
> recutils    1.7    out
> /gnu/store/6h02na6yz9smc7c7g62ss03kp4yhqpc1-recutils-1.7
> glibc-locales    2.27    out
> /gnu/store/s28fmfrq8r0c688x59cj0fcyh2pv87nj-glibc-locales-2.27
> glibc-utf8-locales    2.27    out
> /gnu/store/mbns811n696fl7g060cx6jqjh75mlj8i-glibc-utf8-locales-2.27
> gfortran    7.3.0    out
> /gnu/store/mw65pcca7x7mmq8v2r427f3plrahhyxl-gfortran-7.3.0
> zlib    1.2.11    out    /gnu/store/fxiwj2wpp11sif613axdax7gmwzsg6kp-zlib-1.2.11
> bzip2    1.0.6    out    /gnu/store/rw1ilvs76rf2p4p0bi1fx3bffprwwb7g-bzip2-1.0.6
>
> And even at the bottom of my .bashrc I have:
>
>   export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
>     export PATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"
>     export CPATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/include${CPATH:+:}$CPATH"
>     export LIBRARY_PATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/lib${LIBRARY_PATH:+:}$LIBRARY_PATH"

when running Guix on top of a foreign distribution, this problem is very common.
I lived with this for several months myself

Reaching a solution to this can be tedious and often the solutions are short lived

Because this has to do with how the basic C libraries provided by Guix and those provided by the foreign distro relate with each other (usually not so well)

But this is not critical, you can successfully package some R based packages for Guix anyway

Hope this helps !