guix-devel

Re: Reproducible rust builds

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Reproducible rust builds
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 15:22:04 +0200

Hi Nikolai,
Hi Joe,

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 02:05:45 +0500
Nikolai Merinov <address@hidden> wrote:

> I concentrated on 1.25 and newer.

Be advised that the wip-rust branch contains a (finished) full source bootstrap
for rust which starts with rust 1.19.  We should coordinate when we merge what
to master so we don't make the reproducibility problems more difficult to track
down.

I'd prefer to first get the rust reproducibility on master under control and
only later merge wip-rust.

> 1.25 and 1.27 suffer from this type of non-reprodicibility
> https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/50556

I confirm that problem.

>1.25 and 1.27 suffer from this type of non-reprodicibility
>https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/50556
>There is no suggestions how to solve this issue and I have no idea how
>to continue with it. As far as I understand we step on non-determenistic
>behavior of llvm 6, so I suggest to use llvm 3.9 for this versions.

I agree, especially if the problem is fixed in later Rust versions
and if they build reproducibly with newer LLVM versions.

> 1.27, 1.28, 1.29 have next issue
> https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/24473
> It can be fixed with
> rust-mdbook-Support-reproducible-builds-by-forcing-window.search.patch
> in my packages.

That looks like a simple patch.  Nice!

> > For me, it has been liblibc. I've attached the output of the following
> > command:
> >
> > $ diffoscope --exclude-directory-metadata
> > /gnu/store/hv2wb30jgzhhgfvlhrfpk3qcwr38igg4-rust-1.22.1
> > /gnu/store/hv2wb30jgzhhgfvlhrfpk3qcwr38igg4-rust-1.22.1-check --html
> > diffoscope-rust.html

Yeah, there are lots of libc differences for me too between the rounds.

It's cool that upstream is quite motivated to fix reproducibility problems, so
let's keep reporting issues there.