guix-devel

Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 15:00:41 +0200

Hello Lakshmi,

Lakshmi Prasannakumar <address@hidden> ezt írta
(időpont: 2018. okt. 18., Cs, 14:38):

> @Björn and @Gábor
>
> Thanks a lot. It did work fine.
>
> Now as the next step I assume, I have to add a new package.  I can see from
> there are lot many packages listed in the
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/ in alphabetic order. So should I
> find a new package and add it?

Yes, that is correct.

> If it is to add a new package, I see the Anaconda Package missing there. And
> may be I could add that in the format mentioned in 4.1 defining package , is
> that correct?

Yes, that is correct. We usually recommend to add a package we have an
importer for. Anaconda could be a good candidate, if you wish to
package it, and I guess we have a lot of unpackaged dependencies of
anaconda.
Note that you have to package all the dependencies to package
something for guix. Packaging a single dependency would do for now.
Please see
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-import.html
for
more information about importers. (For example R packages from CRAN or
bioconductor have a good quality importer)

>  Or should I proceed with creating video tutorials for the steps I did until
> now ?

Not yet, we should leave that for later, if it is possible.

Best regards,
g_bor