guix-devel

Re: Guix & IPFS

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix & IPFS
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 15:17:44 +0200

Hi!

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

>> As discussed before (I think?), builds are performed in an isolated
>> environment without network access—this is one of the measures taken to
>> guarantee build reproducibility and statelessness.
>>
>> So what you’re doing here (running “gx” in a derivation) cannot work.
>
> No, the above error comes from the "gx-fetch" code I've just pushed to the
> wip-ipfs branch.  Downloaders obviously have network access, but maybe I've
> set
> it up wrong.

To be precise, builders of fixed-output derivations (derivations for
which the hash of the result is known in advance) have network access.

In practice these are downloaders, but it’s because they are
fixed-output derivations that the daemon is more liberal and provides
them with network access.

How did you define ‘gx-fetch’?

Thanks,
Ludo’.