guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 17:25:01 +0200

Hello Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

>> Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> Following the announcement made by RMS regarding the new GNU Kind
>>> Communication Guidelines (GKCG) [1], I would like to know if the Guix
>>> developpers in particular its maintainers would agree to adopt it in
>>> place of the current Code of Conduct (CoC)?
>>
>> Speaking for myself: no.  I think the GKCG fails to address important
>> issues, such as defining what’s acceptable and what’s not as well as
>> clear processes to address this.
>
> [Apologies for the delay; I’m currently traveling.]

No need to apology, your response is still prompt. :-)

> Adding to what Ludovic wrote, I also would not want to replace the
> current proven Contributor Covenant with the recently emerged GKCG.
> Using *both* of them would not be useful, I think, as I find our current
> CoC to be sufficient; using *only* the GKCG and dropping the existing
> CoC would be a mistake in my opinion, as our CoC describes a process
> which the GKCG does not.

AIUI the GKCG is an attempt to reconcile people of the GNU hackers
community which is has been fragmented by the CoC debate.

In order to reconcile, each “camp” has to make some tradeoffs.  Since
you are a CoC proponent, it is normal that you feel that the GKCG is not
as “good” as the CoC.  However I would really appreciate if you (and
Ludo) could seriously consider the GKCG “downsides” as an acceptable
tradeoff to help uniting GNU Hackers and move the GNU project as a whole
(not just the Guix project) towards what you consider the “right”
direction in the “harassment free” path.

>>> Adopting the GKCG instead of a CoC would help attracting people
>>> (like me) who agree to use a welcoming and respectful language which
>>> encourages everyone to contribute but are reluctant in contributing
>>> to any project following a CoC due to its punitive nature and the
>>> politics of its authors [2][3].
>
> To me the politics of the author(s) of the original or current version
> of the Contributor Covenant don’t play much of a role in prefering it as
> a practical guiding document for this community.  (I don’t know the
> author.)

Have you consider that it doesn't play a role because you basically
share similar political ideas as the author(s) without knowing/caring?
This is not intended as a critic, but just as an opportunity for you to
consider that your own political bias (which we humans all have) is not
universal and that maybe other “respectable” persons might not share it.

> I think I see how it could be seen as “punitive”, but I don’t share this
> assessment.  We all want what’s best for the project and the people who
> currently work on or consider working on it — to me the emergence of the
> GKCG is more evidence that this is true.  I hope that seeing these
> similarities in intent more than the differences in implementation will
> allow you to overcome your feeling of reluctance to contribute to Guix
> (and other projects that have decided to adopt a CoC).

As explain above, I don't think the CoC and GKCG has the same intent.
If it were the case that Guix choose to ignore this opportunity to
reconcile, I am sorry to say that my reluctance to contribute to Guix
would not diminish.

Thanks for you answer.

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37