guix-devel

Re: GNU Guix Video Documentation

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: GNU Guix Video Documentation
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 18:52:24 +0200

Hello Larissa,

Larissa Leite <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt.
25., Cs, 18:26):

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your help.
> Is programming the only way of contributing?
> I would like to contribute through documentation, video or translation, if
> possible.

No, documentation improvements are considered contribution for this project.

However, it is really hard to document something that you are not familiar with.

At least installing Guix or GuixSD is a hard requirement.

We recommend packaging something easy, as this will be one of the things that
will have to be documented, and usually these type of contributions
are faster to
make. Also note, that in case of these simple CRAN packages this is rather a
data recording like task, than programming. (Consider that we would
like to create
a 3 minutes tutorial video to have this covered.)

With all that said, you can modify the texinfo documentation of guix,
it is located at
doc/guix.texi in the source. These type of contributions tend to take longer, as
community consensus is needed on the sytle and wording. A recommended way to
create a documentation contribution is to add some @cindex entires to
the manual.

All the contribution guidelines apply, like for all other patches.

Translation is delegated to the Translation Project, and is
coordianted by their per
language communities, and outside the scope of this project right now. However
you are welcome to provide translated verisons of the videos, once the
internship
begins.

> Thank you,
> Larissa Leite