guix-devel

Re: GNU Guix Video Documentation

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: GNU Guix Video Documentation
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 23:53:34 +0200

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 14:39:40 +0200
Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Guix,
>
> I've prepared a preliminary version of the graph of minimal
> requirements of this project,
> it is mostly abstract for now, but I would like to hear the opinions,
> or possible additions to this.
> So here it is. WDYT?

Hi Gábor,

since I first heard from the realization of the Video/Outreachy
project, I found this procedure a bit abstract and I fear that the
outcome would be a bit boring when done like that. Especially the part
"images" is what I find suspicious, maybe I understand it wrong and I
have to convinced into some direction: Do you mean by that still
images/screenshots that will then be shown some duration (in the range
of seconds), like slideshows with text-slides and screenshots
intermixed? That is then mixed with subtitles and/or audio recordings.

I expected more like a screen cast: A life hacking session with
comments on what's going on, why doing a step, opening a brower and
show where to find docs. Of cause this has to be well prepared and some
parts have to be cut out in order to be not too tedious (half an hour
gcc log output during compilation is not so interesting for some
people).

[I thought of maybe combining it with someone moderating, i.e. a person
filmed who is explaining what they are doing. Though we need to be
careful to not push anyone into that direction who doesn't want. Maybe
it's better to drop that idea.]

What I'm next missing is a set of tasks that we want to be
video-documented. Or should that be part of the internship? I think it
is more on our side to define the requirements.

How and on which platform should the final result be presented?
This includes freedom, privacy and technical aspects and is a
question of acceptence/broadness of people watching it. Depending on the
choice, could that affect the preparation process (for example,
subtitle format, video-container format, audio-channels/translations,
automatic text2subtitle conversation)?

Björn