guix-devel

Re: [outreachy] Further steps

From: Laura Lazzati
Subject: Re: [outreachy] Further steps
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 16:36:42 -0300

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 4:06 PM Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>
> Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
> okt. 26., P, 20:47):
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 2:22 PM Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Laura,
> > >
> > > Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
> > > okt. 26., P, 17:01):

> > > Also, you can still record contributions after the application, but as
> > > Ricardo
> > > said, the number of contributions is not the primary metric.
> > I thought that they were really important, so that was why I was
> > thinking about doing more contributions up to November. I still would
> > like  to be a contributor even the outcome of Outreachy, as I
> > mentioned, but if I can apply to Outreachy the better.

> > > Please, don't get confused. That one is an open discussion, feel free to
> > > join.
> > > We would like to have a clearer picture about the community expectations
> > > regarding the project, set up some priorities, and plan some
> > > infrastructure for
> > > the work. I would like you to get involved, so that you can also express
> > > your
> > > opinion and expectations, as the outcome of the discussion will influence
> > > your
> > > work if you are chosen. ( It is very undesirable that you work on
> > > something that
> > > you don't like,  it kills morale fast. )
> >
> > Oh, thanks :) I was not mentioning anything there because I did not
> > want to become an intruder or something like that.
> > But I have some suggestions. Maybe I could mention them there. As a
> > user who watches tutorials and as a person who at least suggested
> > doing video tutorials, even though in that case my proposals were
> > going probably to end up in YouTube or something like that.
>
> You can have a look at the proposed distribution locations at the other
> discussion.

> > > Yes, that would be nice.

> > > I would like you to come up with an initial proposal, and then iterate on
> > > that.
> > Ok, I have the initial Outreachy project next to me. I will take a
> > look at everything there, and write down a proposal, during the
> > following days, WDYT?
>
> Ok, that would be great.
I have one last question: do I need to follow a specific format?
ie: a  template or just writing down in plain text:
>From date/week number up to date/week number: and a TODO list of tasks?

> > > I don't think that is necessary, and at the current state of discussion I
> > > would
> > > not like to force any tools. Actually I am open to proposals regarding the
> > > concrete implementation ideas, and the set of tools to use.
> > I  was asking this because I see the community is concerned about the
> > freedom, so maybe I come up with a tool and it is not GPL, maybe it
> > has another license and I don't check that very well, and I do not
> > want to have kind of trouble, but I could add in the timeline time to
> > learn tools that I do not know. I use FOSS in general, so that I do
> > not make a mistake with a tool.
> > For instance, i knew some LaTeX instead of Texinfo, so I was reading about
> > it.
>
> Actually free software is not necessarily GPL. You can have a look at
> the list of
> FSF approved licenses at https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html.
> Note that there are GPL incompatible free software licences, but
> software lincensed
> by these is still free software. (For example LaTeX is free software)
> As you can see
> software freedom and licensing is a quite sophisticated issue in
> general. You can
> generally trust that software packaged by guix is free.
> ( We are trying hard to make it so, at least :-) ). If you would like
> to use software that
> is currently not packaged, we can have a look at the proposed tools to
> see if they are free.
Yes, I was reading about them before :) It is not a problem for me at
all. I have to learn them whatever the case is, so that was why I was
asking, if they are packaged in guix, then I will use them (or if not,
another contribution: packaging the tools to do the project)

> > > Best regards,
> > > g_bor
> >
> > Regards!
> > Laura