guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: Alex Griffin
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 17:37:32 -0500

> An interesting element here is that many of the
> harrassers don't seem to understand that they are harrassing.

I'm so glad you brought this up, because it seems equally plausible to me that
the other party could be reacting  overly sensitively.

This is precisely why it is a bad idea to set up an authority for people to
appeal to. In many cases it's not clear which party is the unreasonable one,
and it must be worked through with dialogue.

If people don't have to work things out among themselves, and disputes are
instead handled by a committee of project maintainers, contributors lose the
opportunity to better understand each other. Oh, and that committee of
maintainers have all agreed according to the Contributor Covenant that they
have a responsibility to punish abusers, so they might find it difficult to
avoid being biased towards punishing the accused.

Software projects should focus on software. They are not equipped to administer
justice.

--
Alex Griffin