guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: Alex Griffin
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 11:14:53 -0500

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018, at 7:33 AM, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> I proposed to try to roll our own, essentially based on GKCG,
> but have the acceptable behaviour and the processes defined.
>
> Do you think this can/should be done?
> Do you think that this could result in a better situation overall?

It's tough work to get everything right in a CoC. I think that's probably why
the Contributor Covenant was chosen in the first place, but IMO it was a bad
choice.

The GKCG is slightly less polished, and only preferable because it does NOT
specify processes (making it less important to agree with every word). The
processes are where the whole controversy is; nobody objects to behaving
compassionately.

If you must spell out consequences for bad behavior, the Debian Code of Conduct
is impeccable, I suggest starting with that. Despite the fact that I dislike
codes of conduct in principle, I couldn't find a single thing wrong with it.

--
Alex Griffin