guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: Alex Griffin
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 08:43:26 -0500

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 11:49:23AM +0100, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> bullshit. I pledged nothing. More pragmatic and truthful would be:
>
> "The project owners expect everyone who contributes to [...]

Exactly. I would actually have less of a problem with it if it were
presented as moderation rules come down from on high. They still might
be bad rules that I disagreed with (or not), but at least there would
only be a problem if I broke a rule.

When the CoC actually purports to speak for me, then there's a problem
even if no one ever invokes the CoC. I view the Contributor Covenant in
particular as pushing identity politics on the free software world and
manufacturing consent for that agenda. That's why the website proudly
lists all the projects that agreed to it, and why they go push newer
projects to adopt it.

I mean don't you think it's odd that the net effect of CoCs is to cause
drama and divide communities, when they're supposed to be about
welcoming everybody? Even if you can't understand why it shakes out like
that, that alone should throw up red flags in your mind.

--
Alex Griffin