guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 18:50:52 +0100

Hi Thorsten,

> On 29/10/2018 12.27, Alex Sassmannshausen wrote:
>
>>> The association with the primary author makes some people think of the
>>> ... fighting stance of her, the anti-meritocracy thing and her use of
>>> 2nd-hand "quotes" to get people into trouble (trying to keep it short
>>> here, thus far from exact).
>>
>> I think if you make these assertions you might want to bring context.
>> As it stands it reads a little like "poisoning the well": you seem to
>> imply the CC is bad because allegedly the author has done bad things in
>> the past.
>
> No, I'm saying that some opposition is motivated by the desire to have
> nothing to do with her, whatsoever. In order to not go off-topic, I
> tried to outline where the intensity might come from in short form.
>
> Of course the rational thing is to separate the CoC from its primary
> author. But then CoC supporters like to explain how offense depends on
> the feeling of those offended, so maybe you might not want to declare
> this aspect of it to be meaningless.
>
> Discussions regarding the CoC and Ehmke tend to attract problematic
> comments, but the start of this seems reasonable enough:
> https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/974038-why-the-linux-coc-is-bad/
>
> Two interesting reactions to attempts to establish the CoC in projects:
> https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/12004#note-95
> http://paul-m-jones.com/archives/6214

Please try to avoid redirecting the focus of this thread by referencing
unrelated topics.

The Guix maintainers have used the CoC in the past to investigate and
respond to harassment reports.  I would appreciate it if you didn’t make
assumptions about how this happens when you don’t have that kind of
information and you don’t shoulder this responsibility.  Otherwise
people might easily misunderstand your comments.

--
Ricardo