guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: Thorsten Wilms
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 18:17:10 +0100

On 31/10/2018 15.55, HiPhish wrote:
The CC does not provide room for honest and direct dialogue.

Sheesh, you are so bad at arguing against this CoC that I, decidedly not a fan, feel compelled to counter ;)

"Project maintainers are responsible for clarifying the standards of acceptable behavior and are expected to take appropriate and fair corrective action in response to any instances of unacceptable behavior."

Note "clarify", "appropriate" and "fair".

The confidentiality clause may result in a conflict with fairness, but that's still a far cry from no "room ...".

but Alice wanting Bob removed from the
project because he re-tweeted pictures of bikini modesl should be a no-go,
even if the CC allows for it. Can we agree on this one?

See "Scope". Personal Twitter is not a channel that belongs to this project and Bob is unlikely to represent the project or community within that act of retweeting.

I have to give you that there is the somewhat weasely "Representation of a project may be further defined and clarified by project maintainers".

Past acts of certain CoC advocates suggest that they would like to go beyond that, but here it's up to Ricardo and Ludovic.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/