guix-devel

Re: Using a CDN or some other mirror?

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Using a CDN or some other mirror?
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 11:59:46 +0100

Meiyo Peng <address@hidden> writes:

> When I started to try Guix several months ago, the network speed to
> substitute servers from China is very slow (<100kB/s). I don't know what
> has changed but recently the network speed is about 1MB/s. Thank you all
> for the improments. Hopefully a CDN will make the network even better.
> I am not against using a commercial service as long as we only use them
> to distribute signed packages rather than building packages.

I had a similar experience from India, with similar bandwidth on average
(<100kB/s).  It took a lot of patience to install Guix! :p

I haven't been to Asia recently, but I'm glad to hear it's getting
better!

Indeed, such a low bandwidth could be prohibitive to the adoption of
Guix outside Europe.

> I like the idea of IPFS. We should try it. It would be great if it works
> well.
>
> If at some point we need to setup traditional mirrors like other major
> Gnu/Linux distros, I can contact my friends in China to setup mirrors in
> several universities. I was a member of address@hidden, which provides the
> largest FLOSS mirror in China.

That'd be fantastic!

--