guix-devel

Re: GuixSD on librem phone?

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: GuixSD on librem phone?
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 16:24:38 +0100

Hi!

sorry for going little bit OT

I'm *desperately* looking forward for hardware I can trust, so librem5
is giving me *some* hope, but...

Vagrant Cascadian <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-2018-09-hardware-report/
>
> Apparently they will use wifi/bluetooth/cellular that has proprietary
> firmware, but burned into the hardware, which is compliant with the RYF
> guidelines...

still in 2018 the hardware landscape is so sad that a quite "freedom
committed" vendor [1] cannot find a better alternative than to use a
proprietary wifi and bluetooth stack: OK, RFY compliant but what _when_
(not if) a serious bug will be found on that firmware?
are we sure wifi/bluetooth cannot be used as "side channel" vector
attacks?

callular (baseband) merits a dedicated chapter, since it seems
practically impossible *forever* to trust that chips... and that chips
are an important attack vector (Purism will use USB bus to separate
baseband from CPU)

this also means we will _never_ be able to trust communications via
baseband (2G, 3G... 5G), fortunately this can be fixed using a trusted
_separated_ SoC and the very good work coming from the vast and smart
FLOSS community [2] :-)

[...]

Ciao
Giovanni

[1] citing from the above mentioned article: «This is highlighting the
fact that Purism, as a social purpose corporation, will push our strict
agenda of software and user freedoms upstream into the supply chain.»

[2] looking at you, secushare https://secushare.org/

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures