guix-devel

Re: End of beta soon? drop i686?

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: End of beta soon? drop i686?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 18:14:21 -0500

Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Mark,
>
>> Note that we also lost 'icecat' on armhf-linux with the 52->60 upgrade,
>> because our 'rust' packages have never worked on armhf-linux.
>
> Wait, what?  I wasn't aware.  Let's track this as a bug - that's
> definitely not supposed to happen.
>
> mrustc works on armhf - I tested it on physical armhf hardware before merging.
>
> So one of the other Rusts doesn't work?  I'll check out Hydra logs...
>
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/3215481/nixlog/1/raw indicates a timeout of
> silence - we might want to increase it.  (this particular step takes many
> many MANY minutes on x86_64, too).
>
> Would that be the "(properties '((timeout . 3600)))))" thing?  Or is a
> "timeout of silence" an extra setting?

'max-silent-time' is the property specifying the number of seconds of
silence before aborting the build.  For example, here's the 'properties'
field of our guile-2.2 package:

    (properties '((timeout . 72000)               ;20 hours
                  (max-silent-time . 36000)))     ;10 hours (needed on ARM
                                                  ;  when heavily loaded)

The timeouts should be large enough to accommodate an armhf build slave
that's performing two concurrent builds.

     Thanks,
       Mark