guix-devel

Re: Re-approaching package tagging

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: Re: Re-approaching package tagging
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 05:57:45 -0500

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello,
>
> zimoun <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>>> And how the regexp works ?
>>> I am not able to find some doc... I am diving in the code but it is
>>> not easy to find. :-)
>>
>> If I understand well, basically the code is here, right?
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/package.scm#n754
>>
>> And the regexp engine comes from the module (ice-9 regex), right?
>> Documented there:
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Regular-Expressions.html#Regular-Expressions
>
> Yes, just plain POSIX regexps.
>
>>> For example, how to search package with the name emacs and not the name
>>> emacs-
>>> or how to search package with the name emacs and with the decription GNU?
>>> The '-s foo -s bar' is OR. What about the AND?
>>> etc.
>>
>> This needs more than the actual implementation, right?
>
> Having multiple -s flags makes it an “or” but it influences the
> relevance score:
>

> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-package.html#index-searching-for-packages
>
> So if you take the results with the highest score, that’ll probably be
> those that match all the regexps.
>
> HTH!
>
> Ludo’.

I wonder for keywords that would be awkward to "force" into the
description if we could have an "extra keywords" section?  Then we can
skip tagging, but in case a package's description didn't comfortably fit
that word, you can still find it by it.  Then it's not separate tagging,
just extra words to find a package by that the description didn't say.

WDYT?