guix-devel

Re: GNOME 3.30: help needed!

From: L p R n d n
Subject: Re: GNOME 3.30: help needed!
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2018 14:59:16 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I just pushed the branch “wip-gnome3.30” to Savannah.  It is based on
> “wip-gnome-upgrades”, but upgrades our GNOME packages to version 3.30.
>
> Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to figure out how to start a GNOME
> session with this version.  I’m pretty sure it’s just a matter of
> setting the correct environment variables so that all the required
> libraries and the DBus service files are found.
>
> My ~/.xsession file ends on
>
>     gnome-session
>     sleep 60
>
> to avoid an annoying endless session reload.
>
> Note that the wayland backend is the new default.  If you want a little
> less mystery at first, try setting XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11.
>
> I would very much appreciate any help you can provide in pushing this
> upgrade into a usable shape!  Let’s meet in #guix and hack on this!
>
> --
> Ricardo

Hello,

First, thanks for all the work.
I don't have time right now but i might look at this soon.
In the meantime, I looked in nixpkgs and they updated not so long ago.
They added this a few months ago:

    services.xserver.displayManager.sessionCommands = ''
      if test "$XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP" = "GNOME"; then
          ${concatMapStrings (p: ''
            if [ -d "${p}/share/gsettings-schemas/${p.name}" ]; then
              export
XDG_DATA_DIRS=$XDG_DATA_DIRS''${XDG_DATA_DIRS:+:}${p}/share/gsettings-schemas/${p.name}
            fi
            if [ -d "${p}/lib/girepository-1.0" ]; then
              export
GI_TYPELIB_PATH=$GI_TYPELIB_PATH''${GI_TYPELIB_PATH:+:}${p}/lib/girepository-1.0
              export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH''${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:}${p}/lib
            fi
          '') cfg.sessionPath}
      fi
    '';

It seems to add a few environment variables to start Gnome from the
display manager. FYI, p is any package added to cfg.sessionPath.
It defaults to gnome-shell and gnome-shell-extensiosn. (They also advise
not to modify it and rather patch the package itself so it might just not be
possible for those two.)

I don't know if it's related. I hope it helps tho.

Have a nice day,

Lprndn