guix-devel

Re: add DEPRECATION grace period: the upcoming Great Python2 Purge™

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: add DEPRECATION grace period: the upcoming Great Python2 Purge™
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 23:52:06 +0800

Hello everyone!

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 02:33:55PM +0100, Pjotr Prins wrote:
>> A lot of software outside Guix still depends on Python2, for better or
>> worse. I don't believe EOL means they are going to drop security
>> updates. Leaf packages may well be in use today.
>
> I do think it means that the current Python team at python.org will stop
> issuing security updates for Python 2. [0]
>
> Previously, Guido van Rossum said "The way I see the situation for 2.7
> is that EOL is January 1st, 2020, and there will be no updates, not even
> source-only security patches, after that date. Support (from the core
> devs, the PSF, and python.org) stops completely on that date." [1]
>
> Well, Guido is no longer involved with Python, so maybe the situation
> has changed. In any case, I think we can expect third parties like Red
> Hat to keep maintaining Python 2 for some years, and we can use their
> work.

I suggest everyone to read these two LWN articles[0][1]. IMO, we should
start deprecating all python 2 packages which are already available in
python 3 and are not dependencies of python-2-only packages(*). Also, we
should not create python 2 definition for new python packages
anymore. Of course, we can make an exception if there's a demand for
it. This way, we can start warning everybody that python 2 is going EOL
and support is going to be dropped gradually. Right now,
'guix refresh -l python2' shows there're 1692 packages depending on
python 2.

For security updates, as Guido has mentioned python devs will no longer
provide security updates after 1/1/2020, which others seemed to
agree. You can read the whole thread here[2]. However, centos and debian
will still be supporting python 2 past that date. Centos will support
python 2 until 2024 and I suspect Debian will have to support it for
even longer since their next stable release (Debian 10 on 2020) will
include python 2.

Cheers,
Alex

(*): Should we make a new construct that does it? Also, I think we
should mention it in the guix blog, so others can learn about the
deprecation.

[0]: https://lwn.net/Articles/756628/
[1]: https://lwn.net/Articles/750833/
[2]: https://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg100031.html