guix-devel

Re: keep spinning even without new line

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: keep spinning even without new line
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 18:57:10 -0800

On 2018-12-29, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> when using “guix package -i” the build log lines are replaced with a
> spinner character.  In some cases, the build log does not produce new
> lines for a long time, so that the spinner appears to be stuck.

> What do you think of advancing the spinner even when the build log is
> not verbose enough to trigger the display of the next character?  How
> can this be accomplished?

Are you proposing that the spinner spins even when there's no indication
that anything is actually happening? Or is there some source of
information other than the build log output?

It could spin multiple times for each line, and space them out over
time... (multiple lines in the same time-window might only spin X number
of times)

To me, it would make sense that the spinner should stop spinning if the
build is stuck or just not very active... otherwise, it's not providing
useful information to the person watching...

live well,
  vagrant