guix-devel

Re: GDM future work

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: GDM future work
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 01:15:35 +0100

Il giorno mer 9 gen 2019 alle ore 23:33 Timothy Sample <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Hi Ludo,

> Hello Timothy!
>
> Timothy Sample <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> It should be okay for testing as it is.  It will not work unless
>> “gnome-desktop-service” is included in your services.  It does work with
>> other window managers, but the session switching UI doesn’t seem to
>> work.  With a bit of fiddling, I got it to start EXWM, but I suspect
>> it’s only because “exdm” comes before “gnome” when sorted.  (For the
>> record, I had to remove the “TryExec” key from its desktop entry file.)
>
> I tested in ‘guix system vm’ on ‘master’.  The welcome screen is fairly
> gray (do you know how we can change the background image?);

I’m not sure about this yet.  The manual says that the default “greeter”
(UI for logging in) can be themed using “gnome-settings-daemon”.  I’d
like something more fun, too, but it is low on the priorities list right
now.  :)

> it does show the list of users, specifically those that have a proper
> password set:
>

> Logging into GNOME works and screen locking works as well.

\o/

> I didn’t find a way to select a session other than GNOME, though.
> How’s that supposed to work?

Like I said before, this is broken.  Looking at screenshots on the Web,
there’s supposed to be a little gear icon that shows up beside the “Sign
In” button.  We have a problem with GNOME right now where some buttons
are invisible but still work (e.g., the calendar month changing
buttons).  The session switching button is not just invisible, though.
Clicking where it should be doesn’t do anything.  So far, I have no
leads, but I haven’t spent much time on it yet.

Thanks for testing!

-- Tim

On Ubuntu there are  these files:

:~$ ls /usr/share/xsessions/
gnome-classic.desktop  ubuntu-communitheme-snap.desktop
gnome.desktop          ubuntu.desktop
gnome-xorg.desktop     xfce.desktop

and

~$ ls /usr/share/wayland-sessions/
gnome.desktop
ubuntu-communitheme-snap-wayland.desktop
ubuntu-wayland.desktop

These are the sessions that the greeter proposes

For example, the contents of /usr/share/xsessions/ubuntu.desktop are
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Ubuntu
Comment=This session logs you into Ubuntu
Exec=env GNOME_SHELL_SESSION_MODE=ubuntu gnome-session --$
TryExec=gnome-shell
Type=Application
DesktopNames=ubuntu:GNOME
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gnome-session-3.0

and the contents of /usr/share/wayland-sessions/gnome.desktop are

[Desktop Entry]
Name=GNOME
Comment=This session logs you into GNOME
Exec=gnome-session --session=gnome
TryExec=gnome-shell
Type=Application
DesktopNames=GNOME
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gnome-session-3.0