guix-devel

Re: Communication and Design at Guix

From: L p R n d n
Subject: Re: Communication and Design at Guix
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 13:09:48 +0100

Hello,

> Hi swedebugia,
>
> swedebugia <address@hidden> skribis:

>>>wanted
>>>be
>>>
>>>The HTML pages at gnu.org/s/guix/manual are generated from Texinfo.
>>>The
>>>CSS there is shared with all the GNU manuals, which is nice for
>>>consistency.  Ideally modifications of the CSS would be submitted to
>>>the
>>>GNU webmaster or address@hidden (I forgot which one).  However, be
>>>aware that you may encounter misplaced conservatism if you take that
>>>route, so don’t lose your hair on it.
>
> [...]
>
>> What about guix.info? We can do whatever we want there I suppose and just
>> link
>> to it from the gnu site.
>
> Well in general we can always do whatever we want.  :-)  I do think
> there’s value in presenting GNU manuals in a consistent way, though,
> especially since Guix’ manual has cross-references to many other
> manuals.

That would be nice though. Even if consistency is enjoyable, I think
the benefits of a nicely shaped and organised documentation easily beat
what we could get from being consistent with non-Guix manuals. IMHO
GNU manuals are ok when you know what you're searching for, I find them
unreadable. + I think they're intimidating for newcomers. :/

>> Talking about CSS and the manual I would like to add patens highlighting.
>> The chicken documentation has this (on mouse over) and it is really nice to
>> be
>> able to see how complicated expressions are composed.
>
> Yes I’d love that too!  It should be doable for the address@hidden Texinfo
> bits.

+1

> Thanks,