guix-devel

Re: using package-for-guile2.0 outside of guile.scm

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: using package-for-guile2.0 outside of guile.scm
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 23:15:26 +0100

Hi!

Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I tried to move most of the packages in gnu/packages/guile.scm to a new
>> module gnu/packages/guile-xyz.scm.
>>
>> The only problem with this is that package-for-guile2.0 cannot be used
>> in guile-xyz.scm.  I cannot compile the module when there’s a reference
>> to package-for-guile2.0, even when the definition is in guile-xyz.scm.
>> The definition of package-for-guile2.0 refers to guile-2.2, which is
>> located in guile.scm.
>>
>> What to do?
>
> The problem is that ‘package-with-guile-2.0’ needs to resolve
> ‘guile-2.0’.  So if you use it at the top-level, then (gnu packages
> guile) has to be fully loaded, or you have to be in (gnu packages guile)
> itself and ‘guile-2.0’ has been defined above.
>
> I think we can get around it using this cute hack.  I’ll commit it if
> that’s fine with you.

As you found out, that’s not enough.  The reason is that
‘package-input-rewriting’ is inherently greedy, not lazy.  For example:

  (let ((rewrite (package-input-rewriting `((,p . ,q)))))
    (eq? q (rewrite p)))
  => #t

This works only because the replacement alist is traversed as soon as
‘rewrite’ is called.

Needs more thought…

Ludo’.