guix-devel

Re: Policy to remove obsolete packages

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Policy to remove obsolete packages
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 00:47:42 +0100

Dear,

I agree too on the policy.

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 at 23:26, Leo Famulari <address@hidden> wrote:

> It might be tricky to know when a package has failed to build for 6
> months. Do we keep build farm evaluations for that long? Can we automate
> failure notifications after a certain date?

I agree.
To me the question is more about how to automatically detect that a
patch breaks another package than a policy to remove a broken package.

I mean if we are able to automatically detect 6 months later that a
package is broken, why are we not able to report the failure earlier?
And if it is not automatic, this means that someone reports  the
failure by hand, so somehow this patch is important to them and then
why remove it?

All the best,
simon