guix-devel

Building linux-libre with Wireguard

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Building linux-libre with Wireguard
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 16:57:47 -0500

I'm taking a look at how to build linux-libre with Wireguard built in.

There are two primary methods offered by Wireguard. Instructions:

https://www.wireguard.com/install/

First, you can run 'create-patch.sh' [0] which prints to stdout a patch that
can be applied to the kernel source code.

Second, you can run 'jury-rig.sh' [0] which symlinks the Wireguard source
tree into an existing kernel tree and makes the necessary changes to the
kernel config.

I tried the latter [1] but the kernel build fails like this:

------
/gnu/store/q19l04vd2za80mk1845pz7r8cz29qk43-bash-minimal-4.4.23/bin/sh:
net/wireguard/modules.order: Permission denied
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:450: net/wireguard/modules.order] Error 1
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:516: net/wireguard] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:1058: net] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
------

Well, it takes several hours to reach this point so I am not going to
try it again right away with --keep-failed, oops. But it makes sense
that if the build process tried to make some changes to the Wireguard
code that was linked from /gnu/store that it would fail.

I would really prefer to use 'create-patch.sh' to generate and apply the
patch at build-time so I will try that next.

[0]
https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/tree/contrib/kernel-tree
[1] See the attached module