guix-devel

Re: OSM tile server with Guix

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: OSM tile server with Guix
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 13:32:56 +0100

Hello,

swedebugia <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. febr. 23.,
Szo, 12:03):

> Hi
>
> I read up on how to setup a tile server with the least hassle. It is
> quite a bit involved according to this guide:
> https://switch2osm.org/manually-building-a-tile-server-18-04-lts/
>
> I imagine this could be more fully automated with guix if we find a way
> to run the pgsql-commands from guile and write the necessary services.
>
> We have most of the bits and pieces already but I spotted a few that
> were missing while reading and thought I would share them here:
>
> * mod_tile (apache plugin) https://github.com/openstreetmap/mod_tile

Yes, that woul make sense.

> * carto (uses npm and node) https://www.npmjs.com/package/carto (7
> dependencies - at least 1 with a lot of dependencies (yargs))

My usecases usually can be solved using hand-authored styles, but would be
nice to have. (Carto usually created something very bloated for me)

> * openstreetmap-carto (contain carto-css styles and a lua-script useful
> for tag-transformation when loading pbf-files into a postgis database
> with osm2pgsql and get-shapefiles.py a script to download low-zoom
> country boundaries) https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/
>
> This last one should perhaps be included in our osm2pgsql-package
> because it is hard to imagine someone using one but not the other.

I sometimes use osm2pgsql without any need for rendering, so when using
the database not for rendering, but as a database, these functions are
not needed.
I would keep these separate. Wdyt?

> It seems we need a renderd-service also.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Cheers Swedebugia

Best regards,