guix-devel

Re: ci.guix.info 504 gateway timeout (was Re: guix package builds, subsi

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: ci.guix.info 504 gateway timeout (was Re: guix package builds, subsitutes and --no-build)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 14:11:43 +0100

Hi Chris,

thanks for looking into this issue!

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

> Giovanni Biscuolo <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> actually all https://ci.guix.info/ returns 504 "Gateway Time-out":
>> AFAIU this mean I'm not able to install that package (possibly others)
>> for some problem in the CDN

> CDN is not the problem.  I'll explain more below.

OK I got it, actually I didn't check https://berlin.guixsd.org/ whan I
got that error

the "504 Gateway Time-out" is coming from https://berlin.guixsd.org/,
**but** _sometimes_ the error goes away

I mean: if I try to reach https://berlin.guixsd.org/ or
https://ci.guix.info/ and periodically reload the page, sometimes I get
504 error and sometimes not

in particular, it _seems_ to me that the gateway time-out is triggered
by a visit to https://ci.guix.info/api/queue?nr=1000

I mean: if I reach https://berlin.guixsd.org/ or https://ci.guix.info/
and I get a proper response (not 504) I can subsequently reload the page
and clean the cache and always get a proper response; after I try to
visit https://ci.guix.info/api/queue?nr=1000 in my browser and then try
to visit https://ci.guix.info/ or https://berlin.guixsd.org/ I
systematically get a 504

> The 504 error comes from berlin, not the CDN.  If you access
> berlin.guixsd.org directly when the 504 occurs, I think you'll see a 504
> from there, too.

OK, sorry for the confusion I made: it's not CDN related

nevertheless it seems to me we have a problem with our infrastructure

[...]

> What I'm trying to say is that the 504 doesn't mean substitutes are
> unavailable.

OK, so my problem getting ungoogled-chromium installed is not related to
the 504 gateway timeout from the web API

unfortunately I'm still having problems installing it since my client
does not download the substitute but starts building the derivation:

$ guix package -i ungoogled-chromium
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
building
/gnu/store/4mvzzx2jmr4r4p2kx0hcvwr9s9lvx0gd-ungoogled-chromium-72.0.3626.109.drv...
\ 'set-paths' phase^C

despite

computing 1 package derivations for x86_64-linux...
looking for 1 store items on https://ci.guix.info...
https://ci.guix.info
  100.0% substitutes available (1 out of 1)
  99,3 MiB of nars (compressed)
  288,3 MiB on disk (uncompressed)
  0,059 seconds per request (0,1 seconds in total)
  16,9 requests per second
  'https://ci.guix.info/api/queue?nr=1000' returned 504 ("Gateway Time-out")

...and I still can't understand why

Thanks!