guix-devel

Re: Guix video repository: First video script commited

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: Guix video repository: First video script commited
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 14:36:41 -0500

Hi, Laura, everyone,

El 28/02/19 a las 1:45 p. m., Laura Lazzati escribió:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 2:54 PM Laura Lazzati
<address@hidden> wrote:

I “installed” the fonts by placing them in ~/.fonts, running “fc-cache
-f” as needed.  As long as fc-cache knows about the directory it will be
fine.
When Ricardo knows, he knows :P.
My missing step was putting it under ~/.fonts. Will add mabe a fonts
folder under root dir and then a script to move it to ~/.fonts and run
fc-cache, WDYT?

Regards :)
Laura

That didn't work for me.

I built the "01-installation-from-script" videos, and found the following problems:

+ Text is not rendered with the appropriate font (known issue).
+ Firefox 65.0.1 says "Video can't be played because the file is corrupt."

These are the steps I followed to build the videos:

1. $ git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix/videos.git (I got commit 03930dc)
2. Add missing fonts to $HOME/.fonts
3. $ fc-cache -f
4. $ fc-list ($HOME/.fonts is listed)
5. $ cd path/to/videos
6. $ ./environment.sh
7. [env]# cd 01-installation-from-script
8. [env]# ./buildall.sh

After running these, the videos are available in:

  videos/01-installation-from-script/en_US/videos/

The resulting videos don't use the appropriate fonts in my case. Inkscape, however, which I installed with Guix, renders the video SVGs with the appropriate fonts.

I imagine the font problem can be solved by packaging those fonts for Guix and adding them to the environment?

As a workaround to the fonts issue, one can convert the text in the SVG files to paths. Using Inkscape, you can do so by running it from the command line using the -T option. For example:

  $ inkscape -z -T -l=1-mod.svg 1.svg

As for the corrupted videos, in the Totem video player, the video plays but black colors are displayed green instead (maybe result of the corruption?). In VLC the video plays OK, and the colors are fine.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/